Application must be made on the LUMS portal for PhD applications (see Submitting your application below). Students must apply online using this portal, and upon selection, will then be given an official admission offer letter from the Office of Admissions at LUMS.
• TWAS-LUMS Postgraduate Fellowships are tenable at the departments of The Syed Babar Ali School of Science and Engineering (SBASSE) of the Lahore University of Management Sciences, Lahore, Pakistan for studies leading to a PhD degree in one of the fields of Natural Sciences and Engineering.
• Applicants must be not registered for a PhD degree in their home country in order to apply for the fellowship.
• The Fellowship may be granted for a maximum period of 60 months (or five years).
• LUMS will provide a monthly stipend which should be used to cover living costs, such as food, accommodation, local transportation and incidental minor illness. The monthly stipend will not be convertible into foreign currency.
• The language of instruction is English.
Applicants from Least Developed Countries (LDCs) and women are especially encouraged to apply.
Applicants for these fellowships must meet the following criteria:
• be a maximum age of 35 years on 31 December of the application year;
• hold a Master's degree in a field of natural sciences*;
• be nationals of a developing country (other than Pakistan);
• must not hold any visa for temporary or permanent residency in Pakistan or any developed country;
• provide evidence of proficiency in English, if medium of education was not English;
• provide evidence that s/he will return to her/his home country on completion of the fellowship;
• not take up other assignments during the period of her/his fellowship;
• be financially responsible for any accompanying family members.
*Computer sciences and IT fall under Engineering Sciences for TWAS.
Submitting your application
• The deadline for receipt of applications is 13 March 2024 (11:59 pm Pakistan time).
• Apply online here https://admissions.lums.edu.pk/ by doing the following:
- first create an account using your email address;
- then apply selecting the PhD for Foreign Nationals;
- subsequently selecting the LUMS-TWAS fellowship option.
• Once you have applied you may be required to participate in an online interview.
• Please note you can only submit the required documents a few days AFTER the deadline. You will be provided with complete information on the email addresss used for applying. Deadline for material is 15 March 2024 (11:59 pm Pakistan time).
• Please be advised that applicants may apply for only one programme per calendar year in the TWAS and OWSD portfolio. Applicants will not be eligible to visit another institution in that year under the TWAS Visiting Professor programmes. One exception: The head of an institution who invites an external scholar to share his/her expertise under the TWAS Visiting Professor programmes may still apply for another programme.
Academic Affairs, Office of the Dean,
Syed Babar Ali School of Science & Engineering
Lahore University of Management Sciences (LUMS)
DHA, Lahore Cantt. 54792,
Phone: +92 42 3560 8000; Ext: 3761
TWAS Fellowships Office
ICTP campus, Strada Costiera 11
34151 Trieste, Italy
Tel: +39 040 2240 687
Fax: +39 040 2240689